The Center for East Asian Studies at the University of Pennsylvania is an interdisciplinary unit composed of faculty members whose teaching and research focus primarily on China, Japan, Korea, and bordering areas.
To receive a weekly e-newsletter and information about upcoming events, please click here.
Aimed at high school students in all grades, this intensive Chinese language program couples Penn’s internationally known Chinese language and studies programs with its extensive experience in intellectual development programs for high school students. This year's program will run from July 3 - August 8, 2014, including the following offerings:
- Three hours of language instruction daily Monday through Friday, including: lecture, speaking exercises, and language lab.
- Two hours of lecture weekly on Chinese traditional and modern health practices, science and technology.
- One hour of examination weekly.
- Lunch provided once a week at Chinese Language Table.
- One-on-one practice sessions with language teachers three days a week.
- Experience in the language lab to familiarize students with Chinese word processing and websites.
- Field trips to Chinatown and Philadelphia Science Museum.
- Chinese painting and martial arts activities.
For more information, visit the STARTALK page.
East Asian Area Studies Major and Minor
For additional information about the East Asian Area Studies Major and Minor please visit our Degree, Programs and Requirements page or contact Dr. Frank L. Chance.
For the most recent list of courses, please visit our Academics page.